Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Days and Nights and all the Hours in Between

I wanted to write something about motherhood these days, AND I wanted to write something about packing/moving in/etc., so finally--when I couldn't decide what to write--I wrote about both. I never write posts like this. We'll see how it goes.

* * *

For better or worse, we are finally moved in to our new house. We've lived at my parents' house since the closing (or a few days before?) which was two weeks ago. Those two weeks were also when I was at my peak of "morning" sickness (which is actually more like evening sickness), and the help was priceless. My mom and sisters cooked our meals, cleaned up our messes, folded our laundry, read the kids books, and painted and cleaned our new house. Niiiiiiiiiice.




* * *

I have tried pretty much everything under the sun to help calm my upset stomach. Considering that I've been trying everyone's suggestions for four pregnancies now, I've heard a LOT of suggestions, and I've tried a lot of people's ideas. Unfortunately, not a single one of them worked. And then, one day at my parents', I randomly tasted a sip of my husband's somewhat-alcoholic cider... and it made me feel SO much better. My parents keep white wine around, and when I feel my worst, I've been sipping wine. Even ONE sip calms my stomach. Seriously. It's been amazing.

* * *

Talk about the dilemmas to moving into a new house. There is SO much that I CAN'T FIND. Tonight I was craving lemonade, and I even *found the lemonade,* (that was easy... it was in the freezer), but I couldn't find my lemonade pitcher. In fact, I couldn't find ANY pitcher at all. I was opening all the kitchen cupboards, almost in tears, when I found a pitcher. Sweet little bits of happiness.

* * *

Speaking of happiness, we have several bushes in our yard that are covered in lovely flowers. My sister surprised me with this "bit of pretty" amongst the chaos.



* * *

One of the last nights we stayed at my parents' house, the girls had been playing in the "Lego room." I asked them to clean up, and to tell me when they were done. So a few minutes later, the girls came upstairs, and told me the room was cleaned up. I went downstairs, opened the door, and had about 1.5 seconds of intense MOM PRIDE--as all the toys were TOTALLY cleaned up!! Had you given me one more second, I would've started praising the girls loudly, and telling them how proud I was, and then... I saw it. The huge green marker circles on the wall. So the toys were cleaned up, but the walls took me 30 minutes of intense scrubbing before they were white again. I'm sure I was meant to learn some sort of lesson from this... still not sure what it was supposed to be. The whole situation was definitely ironic.

* * *
Because of our new location, we now have Netflix instant streaming!! After dinner tonight, the girls and I ate M & M cookies, and watched "19 Kids and Counting." It's one show that all three of us (ages 27, 3, and 2) all appreciate. ;)

* * *

I'm a huge fan of clean children, and clean houses, and well... clean everything. But tonight, I heard the kids making noises upstairs, and I wanted to get upstairs quickly, so I didn't take the time to put on my flip-flops. I just ran upstairs. Even though some of the floors have been wiped clean SEVERAL times, I still found myself inwardly going, "Ick! Ick! Ick!" with every step.

There are spots of the house, however, like this railing, that are almost finished, and lookin' gorgeous.



* * *

Oh, but back to the clean children part. Our new-house shower IS clean. I've seen to that. I wasn't moving in till it had been scrubbed down several times. There's only one little problem: it's a SHOWER. So I gave all three kids showers tonight, instead of baths. It was interesting for everyone. It's going to take some adjusting to!

* * *

Sometimes I make fun of those "mom life" descriptions, because my life isn't like that (for example, my morning routine is usually very relaxed, as I get up an hour or more before the kids). But other times--like when I'm trying to head over to our new house, to quickly (??) swipe a coat of primer on the railing... and I'm trying to get 3 kids, 3 and under, ready to go, and there are unexpected diaper changes, and three sets of shoes and coats to find and put on (it doesn't help that half of our stuff is at the new house)... that's when I think that some of those "mom life" descriptions are SPOT ON. Young kids definitely keep you busy, but it's a good busy. It's a crazy AND fun busy.

8 comments:

  1. The flowers are forsythia. One of my favorites....The house is looking great. I also moved with three little ones. Adrea was 3 months old. But I wasn't expecting! We spent many nights painting and cleaning after the babies were in bed. I'm still surprised by what they slept through as we got the house in shape....good memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was Beth, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good times. And you lived to tell the tale?! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Yes, moving with little ones is hard. Going to a house with only a shower with kids is fun too. If your kids like baths you could by a little wash tub for them to put in your shower or bathroom. Thats what we did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi, thanks for the suggestion! I'm sure the kids would love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say I LOVE your blog and am constantly checking for new posts. I'm always trying to find new ways to be organized and save money and you always give me great ideas for now and in the future. Keep up the great writing! -Katie Robinette (now Katie Maranto)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so good to hear from you, Katie!! Congratulations on your marriage! I saw some wedding photos a while back; everything was lovely. And thanks for your sweet note!

    ReplyDelete

You want to make my day? Leave a comment! :D