Friday, December 20, 2013

The Goodwill Challenge (times two)

First off, I wanted to thank everyone who has expressed concern about my back. Fortunately, I've had help from my family, so I've been able to rest and hopefully recover! I have no idea what caused this temporary discomfort... hopefully I will be moving around again normally, within a few days!

Ever since I became a Goodwill enthusiast, I've been dying to do some sort of "challenge" where I was able to scour the store and find three complete outfits, in an hour or less. Our Goodwill isn't huge, but it's big enough that I'm normally able to find at least three items that fit me, and that I actually like. And even if I don't find something for me, I'm often able to find a few baskets that are cool (for socks, stockings, hot chocolate packets, and so on...), or a needed clothing item for one of the kids (there are now three of them, you know, so there's always one of them who needs something).

The hard thing is, of course, finding the nice clothes among all the faded or stretched-out items from the eighties. That's why I call it a challenge.

But the second challenge is keeping the kids happy and occupied while I'm maneuvering the cart through the crowded racks of clothing and household items.

I'm not sure which of these is the greater challenge... Though I will say, I've been allowing each of the girls to pick a toy to take into the dressing room, and that keeps them happy for at least 10 minutes--even longer if the toy makes noise. Ha!

Before I go on, let me make one thing abundantly clear: sometimes I go to Goodwill because I actually would like to buy clothes, but the majority of the time, I go for entertainment. Shopping is a hobby of mine, but only if the price tags are $5 or less. It's actually fun to buy clothes when you walk away with an bagful that was less than $20, you know?

Okay, maybe this is just me. I really do love second-hand clothing stores. But you know that already.

Moving on.

Here's how I shop: Jemima and Matthias ride in the cart, and Rachel walks beside me. She's normally pretty good about staying within 10 feet of me...especially if I let her hold a little purse while she walks. (I don't feel like "normal" stores would let kids do things like this, but consignment stores have no trouble with it... the beauty of the second-hand world, right?)

I look through the tops/sweaters first, and then I move to the skirts (80% of my skirts come from Goodwill). I skip over the whole pants section (a few times, I've gotten jeans there, but I prefer to buy them elsewhere), quickly look through the dresses (I don't normally wear dresses, because of nursing, but it's still fun to look), and then I head to the kids' section.

After the kids' section, I walk through the household items and glance at the movies and books (I don't think I've ever bought any, though).

Theeeenn... I head to the toy section, let each girl pick out a toy, and we head to the dressing room.

Aha. Now the fun begins.

This is what I wore to Goodwill, by the way.



If you've read this post, you've seen half of my outfit before. I really do wear the same general outfit over and over... and those jeans, and those shoes.

The sweater's a hand-me-down, and the purple/gray striped shirt is the number one shirt I wear. It's comfortable, fitted, and I like the colors. I probably wear it twice a week. It's one of those, "Wear it, wash it, wear it again" sorts of shirts. And yes, it came from Goodwill!

Are you ready for what I tried on? (And some very cheesy smiles, in the process? I'm still getting used to these phone pictures, guys! Ack.)

Even though I don't normally buy the dresses I try on, it's still fun to wear a twirly dress... This one had some serious issues, but I still took a picture, and [kinda] smiled while doing it.



Then, I tried this shirt (which was very short, so I think I'd always have to wear it with a skirt), with that stripey skirt. (Has anyone picked up the idea that I like stripes? Because I do.) The skirt was less than $5, so I'd be happy to wear it around the house, too, without worrying about ruining a nice "church" outfit.



Tank top time... I'd wear something like this underneath a long-sleeved shirt for winter, and probably a short-sleeved shirt in the summer time. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I liked the design!





You can see the happy little kids in the background. They were a huge fan of the noisy cash register toy, and the Tupperware full of crackers. So I guess, in a way, we were all entertained that sunny morning.

I ended up buying everything but the dress. So now comes the part where I try to fit these pieces into my every day wardrobe! We'll see how it goes...

How about you? What's your favorite item to buy at second-hand stores? Or do you avoid them like the plague? I can see that, I can see that.... *washes hands over and over*

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your back. try going to the chiropractor. I think that would help you recover a lot quicker. I really believe in chiropractors, plus its a natural way to help your body heal. Hope you feel better SOON! :-)
    Amy C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I'll probably be doing just that, if the problem persists. :)

      Delete
  2. The skirt looks super cute - and adorable with those flats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I'm hoping to wear it tomorrow to church.

      Delete
  3. How does the Fairmont Goodwill compare to Morgantown? And that's a great idea to take a toy into the dressing room for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I've only been in the Morgantown Goodwill a few times, so I couldn't really say. The Fairmont one is very conveniently located for where we live, so I usually go to that one.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia!! I think you should try it, too, for your blog. I for one would that was awesome!!

      Delete

You want to make my day? Leave a comment! :D